Jamel Watkins, Founder of NJM Entertainment, has spent 20 years working his way to being a top MC, starting out as a dancer. Jamel not only provides great entertainment but personal attention to each and every one of his clients. His company is based out of New York, but will travel anywhere, including the DC/Baltimore-area. Here is Jamel to tell you more:
How did you get started in your business?
A friend of mine brought me with him to a rehearsal for a company he worked for, I ended up getting a job by dancing against one of the best performers at the time.
What’s your favorite part of what you do?
I enjoy helping the family make their vision come to life and I enjoy seeing the Guest of Honor have the time of their life and create a memory that they will never forget.
What’s your pop color–that something special that makes you, you?
What makes me unique is I am a natural performer who happens to be witty and love what he does.
What’s your favorite moment of a Bar or Bat Mitzvah?
The opening of the room is always my favorite. Watching the guest come in and be amazed by the sights and sounds and it just becomes infectious and it sets the tone for the entire event.
What questions should parents ask someone in your field?
The following are questions that I would recommend all clients ask when booking an event:
- Is a specific MC/DJ guaranteed for my event and will it list their name in the contract?
- Will I be able to speak to my MC prior to the event?
- What type of experience does the MC have with working with this type of event?
- What will the attire be for the MC/DJ/dancers?
- Will you help us to create a timeline for our event and coordinate this with the venue as well? and f) What other services can you supply for our event?